Badlands has put together a reading list in support of the ongoing street protests in Hong Kong.A mix of history, political theory, poetry, and art, these are the books and zines we recommend you read as this political revolt in China unfolds.
1. Limited Views: Essays on Ideas and Letters by Zhongshu Qian (Harvard, 1998)
2. The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution by Jonathan Spence (Penguin, 1982)
3. The King of Kowloon: The Art of Tsang Tsou Choi by Hou Hanru, David Spalding, Hans Ulrich Obrist (Damiani, 2014)
4. Capitalism with Chinese Characteristics by Yasheng Huang (Cambridge 2008)
5. Classical Chinese Poetry: An Anthology more... by David Hinton (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2010)
Fiona Duncan at T, The New York Times magazine, highlights Badlands at this weekend’s New York Art Book Fair at MoMAPS1. Duncan writes, “This young New York-based publishing house publishes e-books, traditional books and artist works that seek to break down the distinction between print, digital... Read more
The New Yorker Profile of Paul Chan that was first published during his solo exhibition at the New Museum in 2008 is now online and not behind a paywall. “Chan himself can be quite elusive, although he tries hard not to be. Many things amuse him, and he is attuned to the enriching absurdities of... Read more
Seeking an energetic and bright editorial intern for a paid part-time internship. Mondays and Tuesdays. Responsibilities include editorial assistance on book and ebook production, writing for social media, and press outreach. Work with us – hope that’s okay with you?... Read more
Thanks! We'll be in contact soon.